United Kingdom-Bedford: Engineering works and construction works
Section I: Contracting authority
Main address: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/highways-england
Section II: Object
Chelmsford East Beaulieu S278 Works (RDR Phase 3)
The Beaulieu Radial Distributor Road (RDR) Phase 3 Infrastructure works require the construction of a bridge over the Great Eastern Main Line managed by Network Rail and A12 slip roads managed by Highways England.
The scope of work for the Project includes, but is not limited to the following elements:
- Undertake pre-construction services consisting of outline design followed by detailed design including associated surveys, and development of an implementation methodology, considering relevant constraints.
- Design services to include:
- Bridge superstructure/substructure,
- Highways, lighting, footpath and cycleway ties in works.
- Embankment works.
- Highways drainage.
- Accommodation of Foul Water and Utility requirements crossing the RDR Phase 3 to serve the wider housing development.
- Temporary works.
- Stakeholder management with associated consents, including Highways England, Essex County Council (Highways), Network Rail, Chelmsford City Council.
- Construction of RDR Phase 3.
North of Chelmsford, Essex. The bridge will be to the Country End of Chelmsford on the Great Eastern Main Line (LTN1), tying in with the Boreham Interchange / A12 Slip Road.
Bespoke agreement for the Stage 1 pre-construction services and detailed design. NEC3 ECC Main Option A for the Stage 2 construction contract and build elements.
The evaluation of the most economically advantageous tender will be based on responses to both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 requirements. If the Contractor fails to satisfy the Employer's objectives at the end of Stage 1, the contractual obligations under the NEC3 ECC Option A contract Stage 2 will not proceed.
The works are to link the RDR Phase 2 to the Boreham Interchange (a length of approximately 510 metres) comprising a steel framed bridge of approximately 115 metres, incorporating a 7.3m carriageway, 3m wide footpath/cycleway. The Bridge will be constructed a minimum of 5.9m above the existing Great Eastern Main Line Track Level with concrete parapet walls.
The Beaulieu RDR Phase 3 Infrastructure project sets out to achieve the following objectives:
- Connect the A138/A12 Boreham Interchange to the RDR Phase 2 and proposed housing development via the bridge crossing the railway.
- Work to the agreed Asset Protection Agreement with Network Rail.
- Establish Traffic Management design/forum interchange associated with S278 works.
- To minimise disruption to existing environments with a sustainable approach to the undertaking of the works and the finished product.
The works are to be undertaken on behalf of the client, Countryside Zest under the terms of an agreement between Highways England and Countryside Zest under S278 of the Highways Act 1980. Countryside Zest will be the Employer under the terms of the contract that is the subject of this competition.
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
Suppliers will be advised in the procurement documents.
Section IV: Procedure
Section VI: Complementary information