Check out our COVID-19 dedicated page for tenders related to medical equipment needs.
Norway-Oslo: Construction work
Contract notice – utilities
Section I: Contracting entity
Section II: Object
New Water Supply Oslo project
The Norwegian Food Safety Authority has instructed Oslo Municipality to establish a reserve water supply within 2028. Holsfjorden has been selected as the water source for the new water supply in Oslo. Water will be routed in a tunnel from Holsfjorden to a new underground water treatment plant which will be located at Huseby in the western area of Oslo. From here, potable water will be routed to the existing potable water supply network in Oslo.
The project is scheduled for construction start in 2020 and completion in 2028. The detailed development plan was approved by Oslo Municipality on 13 November 2019. The project funding was approved at the same time based on the quality assurance (KS2) of the feasibility study/pre-project.
Contract E5 Raw Water Tunnel
A raw water intake facility will be established at Vefsrud, and a water transportation tunnel of approximately 19 km will be excavated between Holsfjorden and Huseby. The tunnel will be bored with two TBMs, one from each side. The raw water intake facility at Vefsrud will include an intake station with instrumentation and mechanical equipment. Power supply at Vefsrud and Huseby will be provided by the client.
The E5 Raw Water Tunnel contract includes, but is not limited to:
• rig areas at Vefsrud and Huseby
• tunneling work for intake tunnel, intake station, blasted part of raw water tunnel, access tunnel, assembly hall and start-up tunnel for tunnel boring machine (TBM) at Vefsrud
• concrete works for portal to access tunnel at Vefsrud, intake pipes and intake station
• intake water pipes and instrumentation cables from sea to intake station
• floating water intake pipes in Holsfjorden, including foundations, wiring system and floating elements
• drainage system, including pump arrangement for drainage water
• storm water system
• mechanical equipment at Vefsrud
• boring of raw water tunnel with two TBM’s between Vefsrud and Huseby, one descending from Vefsrud and one ascending from Huseby
• concrete lining elements in raw water tunnel
• fiber cable through the raw water tunnel
• transportation of masses
• one concrete plug with drive-through gate towards TBM assembly hall, and one concrete plug with cast-in water pipe penetrations and valves towards the water treatment plant, at Huseby
• cleaning of raw water tunnels, and preparation for water filling
• water filling and emptying of water tunnels before hand-over.
Execution of the E5 Raw Water Tunnel contract is planned during the years 2020-2026.
Work estimated volume
Excavation by drill and blast Appx. 100 000 sm3
TBM excavation (diameter 5.2 meters x 19 km tunnel) Appx. 400 000 sm3
TBM concrete lining Appx. 77 000 m3
Other concrete works Appx. 1 270 m3
Access to the construction road and site at Vefsrud 6 April 2021
Completed blasting, grouting and rock support of TBM assembly hall at Vefsrud 24 April 2022
Access to construction site and existing infrastructure at Huseby 1 June 2022
Access to assembly cavern at Huseby 1 August 2022
Start tunneling with TBM from Vefsrud 1 August 2022
Start tunneling with TBM from Huseby 4 January 2023
Breakthrough raw water tunnel 22 October 2025
Raw water tunnel completed for water filling 1 March 2026
Hand-over of the contract work to the client 1 May 2026.
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
See document part I Competition description.
Section IV: Procedure
Section VI: Complementary information