Check out our COVID-19 dedicated page for tenders related to medical equipment needs.
United Kingdom-Birmingham: Construction work for pipelines, communication and power lines, for highways, roads, airfields and railways; flatwork
Contract notice – utilities
Section I: Contracting entity
Main address: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/high-speed-two-limited
Section II: Object
Railway Systems Procurement for the HS2 Project – Operational Telecommunication and Security Systems (Forming Part of Phase 1 and Phase 2a of the HS2 Project)
The operational telecommunications and security systems scope comprises: data transmission network (DTN), operational telephony system (OTS), tunnel radio system (TRS), telecommunication masts, GSM-R radio network, including base transmission stations (BTS), antenna, etc. relocatable equipment buildings (REBs), route wide security systems and passive provision for Airwave.
This includes without limitation the design, manufacture, supply, installation, safety authorisation, testing, commissioning and maintenance (until take-over by the Employer) and on-going technical support services of the operational telecommunication systems and route wide security systems on Phase 1 and 2a. A separate contract will also be awarded for the provision of technical support services.
Applicants are referred to the pre-qualification pack (PQP) for relevant information available at this contract notice stage.
The operational telecommunications and security system (Op Comms) package of work comprises the following along the entire Phase 1 and 2a route:
Data Transmission Network (DTN)
Provide a fibre-optic bearer and internet protocol (IP) for high-speed, high-bandwidth, high-availability and low-latency data transmission circuits, designed to meet BS EN 50159:2010 Category 2 (open network) standards and manage the provision of operational systems.
Operational telephony system
A fixed-line voice communication network to support the operation of HS2, including a private branch exchange (PBX), voice recorder and call logger systems.
Tunnel radio system
Provide radio systems to end users within the HS2 tunnels:
GSM-R and Fireground; and
Emergency services network (ESN) and mobile network operator (MNO) services (subject to a separate procurement exercise).
Design, construction and installation of the radio towers to support radio network coverage across the HS2 open route for the following radio technologies: GSM-R, MNO and ESN.
Relocatable equipment buildings (REB)
Provide for DTN, GSM-R, line of route security and third-party telecommunications systems. This will include building, fire and access control systems, which will be integrated into the HS2 engineering management system.
Route wide security
Delivery of electronic security measures along the HS2 line of route: perimeter protection, video surveillance, access control, intruder detection;
Selecting and leading integration of the security applications; and
Providing access control locks, intrusion prevention systems and structures such as camera masts.
GSM-R radio access network
A GSM-R radio communication system that will support both voice and data communications along the HS2 route, including points of transition with Network Rail infrastructure and at HS2 depots.
Network Rail, under contract with HS2 Ltd, will undertake all works necessary within the GB GSM-R core (network switching sub-system and base station controller) to extend and upgrade the national GSM-R system, including general packet radio services (GPRS).
Interface management responsibilities
Lead in the technical integration of shared telecommunication systems. During construction, testing and commissioning, the Op Comms Contractor will act as HS2’s technical authority for any radio frequency transmission equipment installed on HS2 infrastructure.
System integration facility (SIF)
Responsible for the DTN and GSM-R systems that are required in the SIF and a specific control, command and signalling (CCS) Integration laboratory.
Both the SIF and the CCS Integration Laboratory will be in HS2 Ltd buildings provided and fitted-out by others.
Cabling and cable protection
Design, supply and install:
Fibre optic cable, tunnel radiating cable, coaxial feeder cable, structure data cable and other cables as required, all power cabling from equipment to a local distribution board, all secondary cable containment and cable management from trackside equipment to the primary cable containment provided by others, cabling protection and suitable fire rating and labelling.
Civil engineering works
Design and provide all minor civil engineering works required for the telecommunications and security trackside equipment, concrete bases, masts, mast bases, ducting, equipment fixings, equipment housings and lineside buildings such as REBs where appropriate.
Maintenance and technical support services
Undertake maintenance of all equipment provided within this package between the date of installation and take-over of the works by the employer and, as required, undertake temporary operation, including making systems and facilities available to support the installation and testing of other railway systems and HS2 rolling stock.
Provide ongoing technical support and spares supply to the maintainer, under a separate technical support services contract for a minimum period of 8 years.
Applicants are referred to the PQP for information on HS2 Ltd’s criteria for selecting Applicants to be invited to tender. HS2 Ltd expects to select four (4) applicants to tender in accordance with the provisions of the pre-qualification pack. HS2 Ltd but reserves the right in its absolute discretion to select greater or fewer applicants as set out in the PQP documents.
Applicants should be aware that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit and/or vary the scope of the procurement and/or require optional scope to be undertaken. In particular without limitation:
• the procurement will include Phase 2a of the project provided that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit and/or vary phase 2a works at its discretion.
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
Applicants are referred to the PQP and pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ) for information about conditions for participation.
Selection criteria as stated in the procurement documents.
Applicants are referred to the PQP and PQQ for information about HS2 Ltd’s requirements and minimum standards in relation to technical and professional ability for this procurement.
Applicants are referred to the PQP and PQQ for information about HS2 Ltd’s rules and criteria for participation in this procurement.
HS2 Ltd reserves the right to require guarantees, bonds, collateral warranties (potentially including the grant of step-in rights) and other forms of security as appropriate to be specified in the procurement documents to be made available at the invitation to tender stage. Applicants are referred to the PQP for relevant information available at this contract notice stage.
The main financing conditions, payment mechanism, performance standards and incentive mechanism will be described in the procurement documents to be made available at invitation to tender stage but it is expected that the form of contract governing the design and build arrangements will be based on the NEC3 engineering and construction contract option C or suitable alternative pricing option, for the design and build element and an NEC term services contract (option to be determined) for technical support. HS2 intends to introduce and promote collaborative working arrangements between itself and the other railway systems contractors through detailed provisions in the contract. Applicants are referred to the PQP documents for relevant information available at this contract notice stage.
HS2 Ltd will accept expressions of interest and tenders from single entities or Consortia. HS2 Ltd does not require those Consortia who intend to form a single legal entity to do so at the PQQ stage. HS2 Ltd will consider contracting with a Consortium, providing always that the participants in any consortium are jointly and severally liable for all of the obligations of the contractor under the contract.
Applicants are referred to the PQP for details.
Section IV: Procedure
Section VI: Complementary information
1) To express interest in this procurement, applicants must complete the pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ) on the HS2 Ltd eSourcing Portal strictly in accordance with the submission deadline for PQ applications stated in the PQP (PQ application deadline);
2) An applicant may be a single organisation or a consortium, as detailed in the PQP documents;
3) An applicant may only submit one PQ application;
4) If an applicant is invited to tender for this procurement, it is referred to as a tenderer;
5) Section II.2.6) (GBP 305 000 000): the value of this procurement is estimated and based on 2020 prices;
6) Whilst these contracts are categorised as works contracts for the purposes of this notice, their scope also contains significant elements of supplies and services as set out in the PQP documents;
7) Section II.2.7) (Duration of the contract): timescales in this contract notice are estimated based on the current HS2 Ltd programme but may be subject to change. Design and build contract ends 2030 and the technical support runs from 2028 for 8 years (+option of 2 + 2 years);
8) A response to this contract notice does not guarantee that an applicant will be invited to tender. The award process may be terminated or suspended at any time without cost or liability to HS2 Ltd. HS2 Ltd does not bind itself to enter into a contract arising out of the procedures envisaged by this contract notice. No contractual rights express or implied arise out of this contract notice or the procedures envisaged by it. Any contract let by HS2 Ltd may provide that the scope or duration of the Contract may be extended at HS2 Ltd.’s discretion. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to vary its requirements and the procedure relating to the conduct of the award process. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to disqualify any Applicants on terms set out in the PQP documents;
9) Applicants shall be solely responsible for and liable for all costs associated with and arising out of or in connection with responding to this contract notice and PQP Documents and with submitting any tender, howsoever incurred;
10) HS2 Ltd embraces diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably skilled and experienced economic operators of all sizes who can meet the requirements, regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith, disability or age of supplier workforce and/or ownership. HS2 Ltd will actively promote sustainable procurement throughout its supply chain and welcomes applications from Applicants committed to the principles of reducing, reusing and recycling resources and to the practices of buying responsibly;
11) The dates set out in this notice are indicative and based on the current programme. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to amend and refine this timetable and full details will appear in the eventual tender documentation;
12) Applicants must allow sufficient time for uploading their pre-qualification applications and tenders. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to reject any pre-qualification application or tender that is not submitted in full before the relevant submission deadline;
13) HS2 Ltd reserves the right to require the submission of any additional, supplemental or clarification information as it may, in its absolute discretion, consider appropriate;
14) Access to PQQ and ITT documentation will be conditional upon HS2 Ltd receiving a confidentiality agreement in advance;
15) Terms with an initial capital letter used in this contract notice and the PQP Documents have the meanings given in those documents);
16) All applicants are required to express an interest by registering on the HS2 Ltd eSourcing Portal (www.hs2.bravosolution.co.uk). Registering is only required once;
17) For further assistance contact JAGGAER Advantage which is available Monday to Friday (8:00-18:00) GMT on: Email email@example.com or Telephone +44 8003684850;
18) Applicants should be aware that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit work from and/or vary and or require optional scope to be undertaken.
Internet address: https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/courts/royal-courts-of-justice
HS2 Ltd will incorporate a standstill period of a minimum of 10 calendar days at the point that information on the award of the contract and the reasons for the award decision are communicated to tenderers.