Check out our COVID-19 dedicated page for tenders related to medical equipment needs.
The Conference on the Future of Europe is your chance to share your ideas and shape the future of Europe. Make your voice heard!
United Kingdom-Birmingham: Ground investigation work
Periodic indicative notice – utilities
This notice is a periodic indicative notice only
Section I: Contracting entity
Section II: Object
HS2 Route Wide Ground Investigations Programme — Pre-procurement Market Engagement
HS2 Ltd is hosting a pre-procurement market engagement event on Thursday 9 July 2020 as part of the process of developing its Route Wide Ground Investigation (GI) procurement and delivery strategy for Phase 2. The objectives of the event are:
— for HS2 Ltd to inform potential suppliers of our proposed approach to procurement in relation to the GI partner and GI contractors,
— for HS2 Ltd to test our key technical requirements, procurement and commercial principles with potential suppliers,
— to raise market awareness of the potential opportunities associated with its forthcoming procurement activities, and
— to provide an update on the current status, timeline and HS2 programme.
Parties that wish to register their interest in participating in a pre-procurement market engagement exercise must do so through the following link:
The deadline for registrations is 17.00 on Friday 3 July 2020.
HS2 Route Wide Ground Investigations Procurement
This PIN relates to HS2's intention to hold a pre-procurement market engagement event to test at high level HS2 technical requirements and validate the key procurement and commercial principles for Phase 2 Route Wide Ground Investigation (GI). HS2 Ltd is intending to procure a GI Partner and GI Contractors. More information will be provided during the pre-procurement market engagement of the nature, location and phasing of the programme of GI being proposed.
The main objective of Phase 2 Route Wide GI programme is to support the design and build programme for HS2 and its ancillary and related infrastructure that covers routes including:
1) Crewe to Manchester;
2) Birmingham (Rugeley) to Crewe;
3) Lichfield to Sheffield; and
4) Sheffield to Leeds.
In addition to the above, the programme may also involve the execution of GI in other associated routes in the Midlands and Northwest England.
The purpose of the investigations are to:
A. Provide information for geotechnical and geo-environmental risk assessments necessary for the planning and design submissions including supporting the establishment of the geotechnical design basis for subsequent design and construction;
B. Provide information for the detailed design and construction to provide greater certainty in construction methods, costs and programme;
C. Identify and confirm geotechnical hazards;
D. Identify additional investigations to mitigate geotechnical risks;
E. Undertake investigations to locate and affirm statutory undertakers apparatus; and
F. Undertake mine-Workings ground investigations as specific activities.
One GI partner will be procured to manage GI contractors. The GI contractors will be procured under a multi-lot framework to carry out the main GI works. The duration of work to be procured is expected to be between 4 and 8 years, and may be extended from 4 years to reflect planning, design, development and construction of HS2 and its ancillary and related infrastructure.
The anticipated scope of the GI partner includes (but is not limited to) performing the principal contractor role, establishing site compounds, carrying out enabling works, undertaking programme planning, managing the employer’s professional services consultants engaged on GI works activities, route-wide CDM, management of the GI contractors and supporting the assurance of technical data output.
The anticipated scope of the GI contractors includes the execution of ground investigation activities including by geophysical methods, invasive techniques including trail pitting, drilling, sampling, field and laboratory testing and reporting and where required, execution of treatment works. Some phase 2 GI sites sites will include the need to work on contaminated land and in areas where mining activity has previously occurred.
The indicative value range of the contract is anticipated to be between GBP 0 and GBP 250 000 000 delivered over a period of up to/around approximately 8 years.
Please refer to the registration process in Section II.1.4), and to the important notices in Section VI.3).
The market engagement day will cover the details of the HS2 Route Wide GI partner and GI contractor opportunities.
Section IV: Procedure
Section VI: Complementary information
Further detail will be provided at the market engagement day and in supporting material.
Please read the following important notices before registering an interest to participate in market engagement:
1) This PIN is not a call for competition and is not published with the intention of reducing any time-limits for the receipt of tenders. This PIN is issued solely for the purpose to alert the market to the forthcoming procurement and HS2 Ltd's intention to commence pre-procurement planning and market consultation of the HS2 Route Wide GI opportunities to suppliers and does not constitute any commitment by HS2 to undertake any public procurement exercise;
2) Interested parties will not be prejudiced by any response or failure to respond to this PIN. Nor shall a response to this PIN guarantee an invitation to participate in this market consultation exercise or any future procurement process that HS2 may conduct.
3) HS2 Phase 2 is subject to an ongoing parliamentary process and successfully depositing Hybrid Bills. The Bills seek powers to authorise the construction and operation of the HS2 route from West Midlands to Crewe, Crewe to Manchester and the West Coast Main Line, and from the West Midlands to Leeds and the East Coast Main Line; Other associated and connected routes in the same region may come under future consideration;
4) HS2 Ltd reserves the right not to commence any procurement process or award any contracts in respect of works and/or services referred to this PIN and to amend the requirements stated in this notice (or as stated in any pre-procurement market engagement documents);
5) Publication of this PIN is part of the normal HS2 Ltd due diligence process on its options, and the publication of this PIN does not indicate that a decision has been made on a particular route for a procurement and/or subsequent contract award, if any;
6) Registration does not bind HS2 Ltd to include any party/economic operator in the market engagement exercise;
7) In reference to information on packaging, HS2 Ltd will provide information on its emergent thinking in the market engagement documents and reserves its right to adjust its packaging strategy;
8) HS2 Ltd is not obliged to communicate with any parties/economic operators that register after the deadline for registration has passed;
9) HS2 Ltd is not obliged to respond to any correspondence on this notice or any matter related to this pre-procurement market engagement exercise and the decision to accept the registration of any interested party/economic operator, and subsequent inclusion in any engagement process shall remain with HS2 Ltd alone;
10) Non-participation in this process will not prevent any party/economic operator from participating in any procurement process in due course, except that if the procurement route chosen is through the existing Phase 1 framework, only those suppliers currently with framework agreements may participate;
11) Given the early stage of the project, and the anticipated impact of the market engagement process and other internal processes, any information provided about Phase 2 to the market shall be subject to change and HS2 Ltd (insofar as it is permitted by UK domestic or European law) shall not be liable for any losses incurred by any party/economic operator as a result of reliance on such information;
12) The contract value range set out in Section II.2.4) is an indicative range, is subject to revision and is subject to confirmation in any future notices in relation to this procurement;
13) HS2 Ltd is not obliged to communicate with any parties/economic operators that complete the supplier questionnaire.