United Kingdom-London: Consultative engineering and construction services
Section I: Contracting authority
Main address: http://www.infracoafrica.com/
Main address: http://virungapower.com/
Section II: Object
Selection of Owner’s Engineer for the EPC of Lilondi Hydropower Project
The proposed construction of the hydropower Project (‘Project’) located on Lingatunda Falls of Lilondi River in Mahanje village, Madaba District, Ruvuma region, Tanzania. The Project is a ~4,5 megawatt run-of-river hydropower that aims feed electricity to the Tanzania national grid. The project will be constructed under the provisions of the FIDIC conditions of contract for EPC Turnkey Projects Agreement 2nd Edition (2017, Silver Book) or similar. The EPC Contractor will take ultimate responsibility for delivering a fit for purpose project in accordance to the employer’s specifications.Project development shall be funded in whole or part by InfraCo Africa Ltd (‘InfraCo’). InfraCo is a member of the Private infrastructure development fund (‘PIDG’), funded by the secretary of State for International Development of the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (‘DFID’) and the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (‘SECO’) and other donors.
Lingatunda Falls of Lilondi River in Mahanje village, Madaba District, Ruvuma region of Southern Highlands of Tanzania.
Lilondi Hydropower project (the ‘Project’) shall be ~4,5 megawatt run-of-river undertaking aiming to feed electricity to the Tanzanian national grid. The Project will be constructed under the provisions of the FIDIC Conditions of Contract, 2017 Silver Book or similar.
Virunga Power Holdings Ltd (a lead developer through a project special purpose vehicle Lilondi Hydropower Ltd) requires an owner’s engineer consultant.
The consultant shall, among others:
1) Review EPC contractor’s documents such as the engineering design and recommend the reviewed design for implementation;
2) Undertake project management and construction supervision including review and recommendation of EPC contractor's design, procurement, pre-dispatch inspection and equipment testing;
3) Implement measures for the control of costs, schedules and quality;
4) Supervise commissioning tests (wet and dry) and performance tests of the completed facilities;
5) Lead the plant take over and submission of final acceptance certificate.
The consultant shall also provide support to the client during the defect liability period. These tasks will be carried out in close coordination with the client.
The project will be tendered via an open process and the consultant shall be selected based on their financial, economic, technical, and professional capacity, to review and make recommendations on the EPC contractor’s method statements, calculation reports, design documents and drawings to meet the employer’s requirements. The most economically advantageous tender is the technically compliant tender with the best price-quality ratio. The best price-quality ratio is established by weighing technical quality against price on a predetermined basis.
The procurement is related to a project and/or programme financed by European Union funds: yes Identification of the project: InfraCo Africa is part of the Private infrastructure Development Group and is funded by several governments including The Secretary of State for International Development of the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
The consultant’s team shall demonstrate the following professional qualifications:
1) 8-15 years professional experience;
2) At least 5 years’ experience in hydrology;
3) A university degree in a relevant field, such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or quantity surveyor with professional accreditation;
4) Experience in supervision of works in hydropower projects and review of EPC contractor designs;
5) Has monitored and created reports for quality of works;
6) Has negotiated consultancy contracts for similar projects and/or of a similar scale including cost, quality and timing of deliverables.
Section IV: Procedure
Virunga Power, Nairobi Kenya.
The tenders shall be opened by Steve Wasira of Virunga Power and/or Tim Jackson of InfraCo Africa Ltd.
Section VI: Complementary information
The review shall take 14 days from last date of receipt of tenders.
Notification of unsuccessful tenders sent thereafter within 3 days.