Check out our COVID-19 dedicated page for tenders related to medical equipment needs.
Section I: Contracting authority
Section II: Object
European XFEL: Turn-key, High Repetition rate Femtosecond Laser System for the X-ray Photon Diagnostics (XPD) Laser Laboratory
The European XFEL is a research facility of superlatives: it generates ultrashort X-ray flashes-27 000 times per second and with a brilliance that is a billion times higher than that of the best conventional X-ray radiation sources. To construct and operate the European XFEL, international partners agreed on the foundation of an independent research organisation — the European XFEL GmbH (‘EuXFEL’), a non-profit limited liability Company under German law. The company employs more than 400 people.
A new project of developing a new type of instrumentation for temporal diagnostics, based on the so-called THz streaking technique, was approved. In order to provide an optimal THz beam and a maximised THz field, XPD requires a suitable laser source. In the long-term, this laser can serve to prepare further setups, and to improve within R&D projects the THz-generation efficiency and to develop new THz-characterisation tools.
European XFEL, Holzkoppel 4, 22869 Schenefeld.
The scope of the tender shall be the supply, installation, and commissioning of a complete femtosecond laser system, which includes a suitable femtosecond oscillator, amplifier, pulse compressor, and other required equipment for the basic operation and measurements (Energy per pulse: > 0.7 mJ@20 kHz; Pulse duration: < 400 fs, additional compression module can be applied).
The deliverables are:
1) A fully operational optical laser system, including:
1.2) Second (SHG) and third harmonics (THG) generator modules,
1.3) Electronics: controller, power supplies, chiller, etc.
1.4) Controls/software: the laser system should provide a Windows/Linux based computer interface hardware/software for remote operation of the laser system.
2) Documentation (in English):
2.1) Installation and commissioning report. Test measurements related to central wavelength, repetition rate, pulse energy, pulse duration, beam profile, and energy stability must also be performed at the time of final installation and commissioning at the European XFEL (EuXFEL).
2.2) Operation and maintenance manual, list of spare parts.
3) Packaging material.
4) Delivery to EuXFEL.
5) Installation and commissioning on site at EuXFEL.
6) On-site training.
For further information see the technical specification.
The selection criteria for the evaluation of eligibility are ability (economic and financial ability) and expertise (technical and professional ability). The above criteria will be assessed on the basis of the documents to be submitted under section III.1) of this notice.
Ability and expertise are in a ratio of 30 % (ability) to 70 % (expertise). For the assessment of the ability, the information and evidence referred to point III.1.2) (WL1) are used. For the assessment of the expertise, the information and evidence mentioned in point III.1.3) (TL1 and TL2) shall be taken into account. The assessment of ability and expertise is based on a relative comparison of the applicants on the basis of the following grading scale.
Up to 10 evaluation points are awarded for each suitability criterion (ability and expertise):
— 10 points: applicant is excellently suited due to the size and equipment of the company and his experience;
— 8 points: applicant is well suited due to the size and equipment of the company and his experience;
— 6 points: applicant is sufficiently suitable due to the size and equipment of the company and his experience;
— 4 points: applicant is suitable due to the size and equipment of the company and his experience;
— 2 points: applicant is only suitable to certain aspects due to the size and equipment of the company and his experience.
In the range between 1 and 10 points, intermediate values (1 p., 3 p., 5 p., 7 p., 9 p.) can be formed to take into account a tendency towards the higher note level in each case.
An evaluation of a suitability criterion with 0 points would correspond to a complete non-fulfilment of the respective suitability criterion, which would result in the exclusion of the application to participate.
The overall evaluation is made per request to participate by multiplying the score for each suitability criterion by the respective weighting factor and then adding it up.
These are selection criteria, not award criteria.
Pursuant to § 14 IV no. 9 VgV (Procurement Ordinance — Vergabeverordnung), the right is reserved to award the repetition of similar services corresponding to the basic project in a negotiated procedure without a competitive tender under the same conditions as the basic contract.
Further information on options is contained in the procurement documents.
Referring to point II.2.10): Variant tenders (variation/alternative tenders) are the subject of the negotiated procedure. The right to exclude variant tenders is reserved. For further details, please refer to the procurement documents.
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
Documents submitted must still be valid; where up-to-date requirements are made, the date refers to the date of publication of this notice (see point VI.5). Applicants must submit the following documents or documents with their application:
PL1. Self-declaration regarding exclusion criteria (§ 123, 124 GWB). The form in the application documents shall be used.
PL2. A short description of the company (self-declaration, see checklist in application documents).
In the case of candidate consortia, the requirements set out here apply accordingly to each individual member of the candidate consortia.
EuXFEL reserves the right to request further self-declarations and certificates for bidders selected at the end of the competition and any subcontractors with the submission of the tender separate request.
WL1. Self-declaration concerning the economic and financial capabilities of the applicant, in particular statement of total turnover of the applicant of the last 3 financial years. The form in the application documents shall be used.
If, for a valid reason, an applicant is unable to provide the required proof, he may demonstrate his capacity by presenting other supporting documents deemed appropriate by EuXFEL. EuXFEL reserves the right to request further self-declarations and certificates for bidders selected at the end of the competition and any subcontractors with the submission of the tender separate request.
The minimum turnover of the applicant for the last 3 financial years must be at least EUR 1 000 000, for each year.
TL1. Self-declaration on the annual resources of the employees for the relevant business unit (breakdown commercial, technical, other) in the last 3 years. If the applicant does not yet exist for 3 years, the relevant information for the period of existence shall be provided. The form in the application documents shall be used.
TL2. Experience as a company in projects of similar characteristics in the last 3 years (references). Similar are projects that had to the subject the delivery of laser for spectroscopy, material processing or nonlinear optics within the last 3 years.
The form in the application documents shall be used. And, additionally, reference reports for each of these projects from the corresponding hiring institutions. Please do not hand in more than five projects.
The reference projects may have been started, implemented or completed within the last 3 years. In the case of candidate consortia, corresponding information may be provided for the candidate consortia as a whole.
Regarding TL2: The applicant must submit at least 5 references of projects of similar characteristics in the last 3 years.
Regarding TL2: The applicant must submit at least 3 references of similar systems already installed in Germany or the European Union in the last 3 years.
Section IV: Procedure
Section VI: Complementary information
1) The application documents must be downloaded from the internet address given in point I.3). Their use is binding. If further information or clarification should be required from the contracting authority during the competitive tender, this additional information will also be published at the above mentioned Internet address.
2) The procurement documents (tender specifications, contracts, etc.) will only be issued to the selected tenderers after the end of the competitive tendering, who have submitted their requests to participate with a completed and signed confidentiality agreement.
3) Questions concerning the requirements of this notice and the application documents should be addressed to XFEL via the awarding platform immediately, but no later than 20 January 2021. EuXFEL reserves the right not to answer questions received later.
4) The sole purpose of the information contained in this notice is to give interested parties an impression and to enable a decision on whether to participate in the procedure. Deviations and specifications within the framework of the negotiations are reserved.
5) Requests to participate must be transmitted electronically to the body designated in point I.3) via the awarding platform. Until the application deadline expires, requests to participate are encrypted so that the contracting authority has no access to them. However, the tenderer is free to edit and re-upload his request to participate within the deadline.
6) The contracting authority reserves the right to request a follow up for incomplete or missing documents in the requests to participate at short notice.
7) EuXFEL reserves the right to cancel the procedure on objective grounds. Claims of the applicants and tenderers for compensation are — as far as legally permissible — excluded. By downloading the application documents, the applicant agrees to this.
8) EuXFEL reserves the right to award the contract on the basis of the initial offers without entering into negotiations (§ 17 XI VgV).
9) Candidate consortia must submit, with their request to participate, a legally binding declaration according to the application documents signed by all members and must comply with the requirements stated therein.
The time-limit for appeal is regulated under Sec. 160 Para. 3 GWB.
The application is inadmissible if:
1) the applicant became aware of the alleged violation of provisions governing the awarding of public contracts before submitting the appeal and did not object to the contracting entity within 10 calendar days; the deadline stipulated in Sec. 134 Para. 2 remains unaffected;
2) violations of provisions governing the awarding of public contracts which become apparent from the tender notice are not notified to the contracting entity by the end of the period specified in the notice for the submission of a tender or application;
3) violations of provisions governing the awarding of public contracts which only become apparent from the award documents are not notified to the contracting entity by the end of the period specified in the notice for the submission of a tender or application;
4) More than 15 calendar days have elapsed from the receipt of notification from the contracting entity that it is unwilling to redress the complaint.
Further information regarding the time limit for appeal under Sec. 160 Para. 3 GWB can be obtained by the above-mentioned body (see sec. VI.4.1) of this notice).