To empower research activities within ultra-high field NMR liquid- and solid-state NMR spectroscopy and provide users of the Danish Center for Ultrahigh-Field NMR Spectroscopy with access to functioning state-of-the-art instrumentation, we need to upgrade the almost 10 years old console on the 950 MHz NMR instrument and supplement the instrument with a state-of-the-art ultra-fast 0.4 mm spinning triple-resonance MAS probe. With specific focus on enhanced research capabilities within solid-state NMR in materials science, we need to upgrade our 600 MHz widebore NMR instrument, which may accomplished by a new console or using the current 950 MHz console supplemented with additional components including a 4 mm MAS probe.
For the upgrade of the 950 MHz instrument applies the following technical and operational requirements:
- The console need to allow for front-end liquid- and solid-state NMR spectroscopy and metabomics using state-of-the-art 5 rf-channel operation and ultrafast (160 kHz) sample spinning.
- The console needs to be compatible with the current 950 MHz instrument in all functional operation, including He and N monitoring/pump and UPS control, magnet shimboards/gradients, cryo-setup for liquid-state NMR*, sample changer for large scale temperature regulated metabonomics type experiments, solid-state NMR with all current probes* and operational features.
- The console needs to allow operation (transmit and receive) on 5 rf-channels with at least 12.5 ns time resolution and up to 7.5 MHz spectral width.
- The console needs to be equipped with the following minimum configuration of preamplifiers for operation on 5 rf-channels with 6 pre-amplifiers: 1) 1H preamplifier, 2) 2H preamplifier, 3) two 57Fe-31P preamplifiers, and 4) 13C+15N preamplifier, for solid- and liquid-state NMR operation.
- The console needs to be equipped with the following minimum configuration of amplifiers for operation on 5 rf-channels: 1) 1000 W on 1H, 1000 W broadband (two identical outputs) at 15-600 MHz, 500/100/250 W triple channel amplifier for broadband/1H/2H operation.
- The console needs to be equipped with MAS control compatible with current Bruker probes (see first bullet)
- The console needs to be equipped with a linux workstation and monitor
and for efficient instrumentcenter activity
- The upgraded 950 MHz instrument operation needs to be as compatible as possible with preparational NMR experiments at users own site to ensure optimal use of the front-end instrumentation.
The 600 MHz widebore instrument needs to be upgraded for state-of-the-art solid-state NMR experiments either in form of a new console or a sustainable upgrade taking optimal use of components from the current 950 MHz NMR console supplemented with non-reusable components (such as 1H preamplifier/amplifier system):
- The console needs to be compatible with existing Chemagnetics and home-built MAS probes, including MAS control
- The console needs to be compatible with the existing shim-coils of the Oxford magnet or provide a new set of shim coils
- The console should need to allow for operation on 3 rf-channels with at least 12.5 ns time resolution and up to 5 MHz spectral width for the broadband channels.
- The console needs to be equipped with one 1H preamplifier and two 57Fe-31P preamplifiers for solid-state NMR operation
- The console needs to be equipped with the following minimum configuration of amplifiers for operation on 3 channels: 1000 W on 1H and 500 W on the two broadband channels
- The console needs to be equipped with a workstation and monitor
For the 0.4 mm 1H ultrafast spinning MAS probe (950 MHz) is required:
- 3 channel HCN operation
- Spinning speed of 160 kHz or higher
For the 4 mm X-H MAS probe (600 MHz) is required:
- 2 channel X-H/F operation
- spinning speed of 15 kHz or higher
- Rotor insert/reject system
*See probes at: https://inano.au.dk/about/research-centers-and-projects/nmr/instrumentation/223t-950-mhz-bruker