Check out our COVID-19 dedicated page for tenders related to medical equipment needs.
United Kingdom-Birmingham: Construction work for pipelines, communication and power lines, for highways, roads, airfields and railways; flatwork
Contract notice – utilities
Section I: Contracting entity
Main address: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/high-speed-two-limited
Section II: Object
HV Power System for Phase 1 and 2a of the HS2 Project
This procurement relates to a single package of work for High Voltage (HV) Power Systems for Phase 1 and Phase 2a of the Project. The scope of work for the design, build, testing and commissioning includes without limitation the specification, design, procurement, supply of materials, procurement of Distribution Network Operators (DNO) connections, installation, factory and site testing, commissioning, training, spares provision, any caretaking or maintenance requirements prior to completion, consents, interfacing with HS2 Ltd’s other contractors and stakeholders, interface with National Grid, and provision of all required hand-over documentation of a fully commissioned HV Power System. The scope of work for maintenance includes some or all of the ongoing maintenance of the completed works.
Please note that HS2 Ltd reserves the right in its absolute discretion to omit any work, including work related to Phase 2a and further details of this right will appear in the ITT documentation.
This Railway Systems High Voltage (HV) Power Systems package of work comprises:
• design, build, testing and commissioning of the High Voltage (HV) traction power systems, non-traction power systems and Low Voltage Distribution Network Operators (LV-DNO) for Phase 1 and Phase 2a of the HS2 Project (together the ‘High Voltage (HV) Power Systems’), and
• ongoing maintenance activities in connection with the High Voltage (HV) Power Systems.
The HV Traction Power Systems include a high speed traction power electrification system which will be a -25-0-25kV Autotransformer system with a nominal fault current level of 15 kA. The system will be designed by the contractor to supply the appropriate amount of traction current into the electrification system to enable the railway operator to run its specified train timetable. Full details of HS2 Ltd’s requirements will appear in the Works Information to be issued at ITT stage.
The non-traction power systems shall feed all necessary railways systems facilities in tunnels and open route at the appropriate voltage level, power demand and system availability. The non-traction power systems will be a distributed HV ring network within the tunnels whilst open route power connections shall be taken from the local DNO infrastructure at an appropriate voltage. The system design voltages are planned to be either 33 kV or 11 kV distributed through the tunnels to enable the supplies to the LV tunnel services.
Railway Systems High Voltage (HV) Power Systems contractor will be the PC for the railway systems compounds LV- DNO supply includes some of the DNO connections along the line (open route) to the LV open route services.
The Railway Systems High Voltage (HV) Power Systems Contractor will be required to supply traction and non traction power to the HS2 rolling-stock maintenance depot at Washwood Heath (Birmingham). This will include interfacing with the Network Integrated Control Centre (NICC).
The HV Power Systems Contractor will be required to provide temporary supplies for construction use at its Railway Systems Compounds (RSC) where it is principal contractor, this may involve adopting the temporary supplies previously provided by MWCC.
HS2 Ltd will provide applicants with an employer’s design (where requirements are mandated) supported by a reference design in order that the applicant can develop a target price. Minimal amounts of design expected to be undertaken by the applicant at tender stage. For example, HS2 Ltd will specify the Major Feeding Diagram (MFD) for the Traction Power System (TPS), the feeding arrangement, sectioning, location and the type of the sites (ATS, ATFS, MPATS) are mandated. The electrical configuration and layout of these sites are part of the reference design and the successful contractor will determine the eventual plant and equipment and how this will be designed and configured within the Client’s constraints/requirements/specifications. The applicant will be responsible for producing an integrated design, procurement, installation, testing, commissioning and hand over of the TPS.
This procurement shall also contain a maintenance contract pursuant to which the contractor shall provide maintenance services in relation to the completed works. HS2 Ltd intends that the full details will appear in the Invitation to Tender at ITT stage, but the maintenance contract (for both Phases 1 and 2a) will continue for an initial term of 7 years (or until Phase 2 comes into operation), running from the first sectional completion of the works under the design and build contract with an option to extend.
Applicants are referred to the PQP for information on HS2 Ltd’s criteria for selecting Applicants to be invited to tender. HS2 Ltd expects to select four (4) applicants to tender, but reserves the right in its absolute discretion to select greater or fewer applicants to tender as set out in detail in the PQP documents.
Applicants should be aware that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit and/or vary the scope of the procurement and/or require optional scope to be undertaken. In particular without limitation, the procurement will include Phase 2a of the Project provided that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit and/or vary Phase 2a works at its discretion.
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
Applicants are referred to the PQP Documents for information about conditions for participation.
Selection criteria as stated in the PQP Documents.
Applicants are referred to the PQP Documents for information about HS2 Ltd’s requirements and Minimum Standards in relation to technical and professional ability for this procurement.
Applicants are referred to the PQP Documents for information about HS2 Ltd’s rules and criteria for participation in this procurement.
HS2 Ltd reserves the right to require guarantees, bonds, collateral warranties (potentially including the grant of step-in rights) and other forms of security as appropriate to be specified in the procurement documents to be made available at the invitation to tender stage. Applicants are referred to the PQP Documents for relevant information available at this contract notice stage.
The main financing conditions, payment mechanism, performance standards and incentive mechanism will be described in the procurement documents to be made available at invitation to tender stage but it is expected that the form of contract governing these arrangements will be based on the NEC3 Engineering and Construction Contract Option C, or other suitable pricing option, for the design and build element and the NEC3 Term Services Contract for the Maintenance Services Contract. HS2 Ltd intends to introduce and promote collaborative working arrangements between itself and the other Railway Systems Contractors through detailed provisions in the contract. HS2 Ltd intends to include Key Performance Indicators to incentivise performance. Further details will appear in the invitation to tender. Applicants are referred to the PQP Documents for relevant information available at this contract notice stage.
HS2 Ltd will accept expressions of interest and tenders from single entities or Consortia. HS2 Ltd does not require those Consortia who intend to form a single legal entity to do so at the PQ stage. HS2 Ltd will consider contracting with a consortium, providing always that the participants in any Consortium are jointly and severally liable for all of the obligations of the contractor under the contract.
Applicants are referred to the PQP documents for details.
Section IV: Procedure
Section VI: Complementary information
1) To express interest in this procurement, applicants must complete the PQQ on the HS2 eSourcing Portal strictly in accordance with the submission deadline for PQ Applications stated in the PQP (PQ Application Deadline). Please note that the PQ Application Deadline is a precise time and applicants should allow sufficient time to upload their PQ Applications. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to reject any PQ Application or tender that is not submitted in full before the relevant submission deadline.
2) An applicant may be a single organisation or a consortium, as detailed in Section 2 of the PQP manual;
3) An applicant may only submit one PQ Application.
4 If an applicant is invited to tender following the PQP stage, it is referred to as a tenderer.
5 Section II.2.5: the value set out in this section is estimated and based (on Q2 2020 prices subject to confirmation) and includes the full value for Phase 1, 2a design and Build stage, as well as an initial maintenance contract for 7 years running from the first sectional completion of the works under the design and build contract(s). It also includes the values for the optional 5 year extension, followed by a further optional 5-year extension of the maintenance contract.
6) Whilst these contracts are categorised as Works contracts for the purposes of this notice, their scope also contains significant elements of supplies and services as set out in the PQP documents.
7) Section II.2.7) (Duration of the contract): timescales in this contract notice are estimated based on the current HS2 Ltd programme but may be subject to change. The end date of 2047 is the latest possible end date of work under the contract(s) (excluding any defects periods).
8) A response to this contract notice does not guarantee that an applicant will be invited to tender. The award process may be terminated or suspended at any time without cost or liability to HS2 Ltd. HS2 Ltd does not bind itself to enter into any contract arising out of the procedures envisaged by this contract notice. No contractual rights express or implied arise out of this contract notice or the procedures envisaged by it. Any contract let by HS2 Ltd may provide that the scope or duration of the contract may be extended at HS2 Ltd.’s discretion. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to vary its requirements and the procedure relating to the conduct of the award process. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to disqualify any applicants on terms set out in the PQP documents;
9) Applicants shall be solely responsible for and liable for all costs associated with and arising out of or in connection with responding to this contract notice and the PQP Documents and with submitting any tender, howsoever incurred;
10) HS2 Ltd embraces diversity and welcomes PQ Applications from all suitably skilled and experienced economic operators of all sizes who can meet the requirements, regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith, disability or age of supplier workforce and/or ownership. HS2 Ltd will actively promote sustainable procurement throughout its supply chain and welcomes PQ Applications from economic operators committed to the principles of reducing, reusing and recycling resources and to the practices of buying responsibly;
11) The dates set out in this notice are indicative and based on the current programme. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to amend and refine this timetable and full details will appear in the PQP Documents and the procurement documents made available at the Invitation to Tender stage.
12) Applicants must allow sufficient time for uploading their full PQ Applications and tenders. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to reject any PQ Application or tender that is not submitted in full before the relevant submission deadline. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to require the submission of any additional, supplemental or clarification information as it may, in its absolute discretion, consider appropriate.
Internet address: https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/courts/royal-courts-of-justice
HS2 Ltd will incorporate a standstill period of a minimum of 10 calendar days at the point that information on the award of the contract and the reasons for the award decision are communicated to tenderers.