TED website is eForms ready from today 02/11/2022. Search changed: please adapt your predefined expert queries. Discover the changes in the site news and in the updated Help Pages
EU solidarity with Ukraine
Prozorro+: Ukrainian public procurement platform
United Kingdom-Birmingham: Construction work for pipelines, communication and power lines, for highways, roads, airfields and railways; flatwork
Contract notice – utilities
Section I: Contracting entity
Section II: Object
Railway Systems Lots 1 and 2 Procurement for Phase 1 and 2a of the HS2 Project
High Speed Two (HS2) Limited ('HS2 Ltd') is the body responsible for developing and promoting the new highspeed railway system known as High Speed Two (HS2). HS2 will initially run between London and Birmingham (Phase 1) but will subsequently be extended to link Birmingham to Crewe (Phase 2a) and Crewe to Manchester and the West Midlands to Leeds (Phase 2b), (Phase 2a and 2b are subject to HS2 Ltd achieving Royal Assent).
The Railway Systems tranche of work incorporates a number of critical disciplines for the HS2 Project, including without limitation the design, construction, commissioning and testing of track, overhead catenary, lineside M & E & tunnels, power, signaling , overhead catenary, lineside M & E & tunnels, power, signaling and communications.
This procurement relates to two Lots: and communications. This procurement relates to two Lots:
— Lot 1 - Track and Overhead Catenary System (OCS) for a High-Speed Railway, and,
— Lot 2 - Tunnel and Lineside M&E and Tunnel Ventilation for a High-Speed Railway.
This procurement covers Phase 1 and 2a and is divided into two lots.
HS2 Ltd reserves the right to award one or more contracts to a successful tenderer as set out in the PQP and eventual tender documentation.
Track and Overhead Catenary System (OCS)
Lot 1 involves the construction of pre-cast slab track in open routes and pre-cast or insitu slab track in tunnel areas, temporary Railheads/depots together with permanent Infrastructure Maintenance Bases (IMB) & Infrastructure Maintenance Bases Rail (IMBR).
The extent of the Lot 1 works include track within stations (physical station construction is outside the scope of this procurement), route sections, twin-bore tunnels and green/cut and cover tunnels.
This Lot includes Design, Build, Testing and Commissioning of Track & OCS* including:
— Design integration and co-ordination with all other disciplines and Rail Systems packages,
— Main Works Civils and Stations contractors,
— Installation of Hydraulically Bonded Layer or Concrete Base Layer,
— Installation of modular Slab Track System (NOTE: HS2 Ltd’s pre-defined precast slab track system contract (encompassing slab track manufacture) will be novated to the winning Lot 1 bidder),
— In-situ and embedded (Euston station),
— Installation of Ballasted Track System within depots and at conventional infrastructure fringes, including Under Sleeper Pads, Rail Expansion Joints, Installation of Switches and Crossings as well as associated point operating & detection systems plus points heating,
— Track Slab drainage,
— Construction of two strategic temporary Railheads (complete with sidings - West Ruislip & Calvert),
— Construction of permanent Infrastructure Maintenance Depot at Calvert, Construction of an IMB and an (IMBR) at Stone and West Ruislip,
— Cable containment in the open route e.g for High Voltage power systems,
— OCS foundations & steelwork, small parts steelwork, support & registration equipment,
— In span assemblies including tensioning devices, neutral sections, asset condition monitoring equipment, switches & sectioning arrangements, registration & panning, earthing and bonding, electrification signage, factory and site testing, all assurance documentation including TSI and Common Safety Method (CSM) evidence and interface with HS2 Ltd’s appointed Notified Body (NoBo), and hand-over documentation.
The Lot 1 Contractor will be the route-wide ‘Principal Contractor’ responsible for construction integration in the trackside / trace/ railheads / IMD / IMB / IMBR areas including the provision of engineering trains for others from railheads to work locations.
The Lot 1 Contractor shall be responsible for the running of the construction railway through to the end of dynamic testing phase prior to the trial running phase. It is intended that the defects date will be 104 weeks after the completion of dynamic testing for the final Area i.e. the final dynamic testing of an Area in Phase 2a being the intended date of completion of the whole of the works. The final detailed arrangements will be as set out in the Invitation To Tender (ITT).
HS2 Ltd has contracted with SNCF Reseau to prepare certain OCS system design information, such information will be available in the Invitation To Tender pack. Note: the obligation for the design of the OCS masts / gantries remains solely with Contractor, such design shall be in accordance with constraints set by HS2 Ltd such as the aesthetic look of the masts / gantries in certain areas along the Phase 1 and 2a route.
In the event that the future Lot 1 tenderer intends to propose an alternative OCS system that is different to that already procured by HS2 Ltd, such alternative shall be wholly consistent with that being developed by HS2 Ltd and meet the requirements as set out in these procurement documents and reference design which will be available in the Invitation To Tender documentation.
The dynamic testing activity is being undertaken across a series of “Areas” and the dynamic testing for the first Area will be completed early in 2025. The Employer will commence the maintenance of assets from the start of the Trial Operations phase in any given Area. The liability date will then be 12 years from the defects date.
Applicants are referred to the Pre-Qualification Pack for information on HS2 Ltd's criteria for selecting Applicants to be invited to tender. HS2 Limited expects to select four (4) Applicants to tender for each lot but reserves the right in its absolute discretion to invite a maximum of six (6) Applicants to tender as set out in detail in the Pre-Qualification Pack.
Applicants should be aware that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit and / or vary the scope of the Contract and / or require an optional scope to be undertaken. Further information in relation to scope, the value of this Lot and value of HS2 Ltd’s options are included in the PQP.
In particular, without limitation, the Contract will include Phase 2a of the Project provided that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit Phase 2a works at its discretion. Note certain technical support and maintenance services will be required and these will be procured as part of this procurement utilising separate contract conditions for an initial period to 2033 with a specified mechanism for extensions thereafter.
Estimated value of Lot 1 is:
— Phase 1 = 860 000 000,00 GBP to 1 155 000 000,00 GBP (inclusive of 142m GBP for Slab Track).
— Phase 2a = 290 000 000,00 to 395 000 000,00 GBP (inclusive of 54m GBP of Slab Track).
Note: There will be a requirement for the Lot 1 Contractor to accept the novation of HS2 Ltd’s pre-defined precast slab track system contract (which encompasses precast slab track manufacture).
Tunnel and Lineside M&E and Tunnel Ventilation
The Tunnel and Lineside M & E and Tunnel Ventilation Lot is a compilation of several sub-systems including:
— tunnel ventilation using large axial fans in shafts (within long tunnels) and jet fans in the shorter tunnels,
— longitudinal active and passive fire safety provisions within tunnels,
— tunnel cross-passage door assemblies in bored and cut and cover tunnels,
— M&E works within cross passages,
— tunnel lighting and low voltage (LV) distribution,
— all cable containment and cable containment fixings in running tunnels and cross passageways for this Lot and for other Railway Systems packages to utilise,
— all fixings for elements procured in this Lot,
— longitudinal handrails in tunnels,
— wayside lighting in the open route (non-tunnel sections) as required,
— security and access arrangements in open route as required. Note: HS2 Ltd has already awarded a Specialist Security Services Contract, however, the Contractor shall be wholly responsible for the security of its Sites and for controlling all access/ egress thereto, and,
— this Lot does not include building services and fire systems in shafts and portals or tunnel drainage including pumps. These will be provided in advance by others.
There are nine (9) tunnels within HS2 Phase 1. These are located at Wendover, Greatworth, Chipping Warden, Long Itchington, Burton Green, Bromford, Euston, Northolt and the Chilterns. Of these tunnels, approximately 40km of the tunnels is bored with the remaining 8.8km being cut and cover.
The boundary of the Tunnel and Line side M&E Lot for Phase 1 commences at Euston Station high-speed termini and extends to Birmingham Curzon Street Station termini. Phase 2a commences at the junction of HS2 Mainline and the spur to the West Coast Mainline at Street Hay.
The scope of work includes:
— requirements analysis and design,
— procurement and supply of all plant and materials and equipment,
— logistics and installation,
— testing and commissioning (T&C); maintenance prior to handover,
— provision of a critical spare parts list,
— training; provision of hand-over documentation and technical support services in a specified period from commencement of the Trial Operations phase.
It is intended that the defects date will be 104 weeks after the completion of dynamic testing for the final Area - i.e. the intended date of completion of the whole of the works.
The final detailed arrangements will be assess out in the tender documentation.
Objective criteria for choosing the limited number of candidates:
— applicants are referred to the Pre-Qualification Pack for information on HS2 Ltd's criteria for selecting Applicants to be invited to tender. HS2 Limited expects to select four (4) Applicants to tender for each lot but reserves the right in its absolute discretion to invite a maximum of six (6) applicants to tender as set out in detail in the Pre-Qualification Pack.
— applicants should be aware that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit and / or vary the scope of the Contract and / or require an optional scope to be undertaken. Further information in relation to scope, the value of this Lot and value of HS2 Ltd’s options are included in the PQP. In particular, without limitation, the Contract will include Phase 2a of the Project provided that HS2 Ltd reserves the right to omit Phase 2a works at its discretion.
Note certain technical support and maintenance services will be required and these will be procured as part of this procurement secured under stand-alone contract conditions for an initial period to 2033 with a specified mechanism for extensions thereafter.
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
Applicants are referred to the PQP and PQQ for information about conditions for participation.
Selection criteria as stated in the Procurement Documents.
Applicants are referred to the PQP and PQQ for information about HS2 Ltd’s requirements and Minimum Standards in relation to technical and professional ability for each Lot.
Applicants are referred to the PQP and PQQ for information about HS2 Ltd’s rules and criteria for participation for each Lot.
HS2 Ltd reserves the right to require guarantees, bonds, collateral warranties (potentially including the grant of step-in rights) and other forms of security as appropriate to be specified in the Procurement Documents to be made available at the Invitation To Tender stage.
Applicants are referred to the PQP for relevant information available at this Contract Notice stage.
The main financing conditions, payment mechanism, performance standards and incentive mechanism will be described in the Procurement Documents to be made available at ITT stage but it is expected that the form of contract governing these arrangements will be based on the NEC3 Engineering and Construction Contract Option C. Further details will appear in the Invitation To Tender.
HS2 Ltd will accept expressions of interest and tenders from single entities or Consortia. HS2 Ltd does not require those Consortia who intend to form a single legal entity to do so at the PQQ stage.
HS2 Ltd will consider contracting with a Consortium, providing always that the participants in any Consortium are jointly and severally liable for all of the obligations of the contactor, under the contract.
Applicants are referred to the Pre-Qualification Pack for details.
Section IV: Procedure
Section VI: Complementary information
1) To express interest in any Lot, Applicants must complete the PQQ on the Hs2 eSourcing portal strictly in accordance with the submission deadline for PQ Applications stated in the PQP (PQ Application Deadline). Please note that the PQ Application Deadline is a precise time and Applicants should allow sufficient time to upload their PQ Applications;
2) An Applicant may be a single organisation or a Consortium, as detailed in PQP ref: HRS01-HS2-PR-ITT-000-000121 Section 5;
3) If an Applicant is invited to tender for one or both Lots, it is referred to as a Tenderer. Subject to PQP Section 6.7.18, there is no restriction on the number of Lots that an Applicant may be invited to tender for, or - subject to any restrictions elsewhere in this PQP - on one Tenderer being awarded both Contracts;
4) Section II.2.5 ( 1 395 000 000,00 GBP to 1 880 000 000,00 GBP): the value of each Lot is estimated and based on 2018 prices;
5) Whilst these contracts are categorised as Works contracts for the purposes of this Notice, their scope also contains significant elements of supplies and services as set out in the procurement documents;
6) Section II.2.7) (Duration of the contract): timescales in this Contract Notice are estimated based on the current HS2 Ltd programme but may be subject to change;
7) A response to this Contract Notice does not guarantee that an Applicant will be invited to tender. The award process may be terminated or suspended at any time without cost or liability to HS2 Ltd. HS2 Ltd does not bind itself to enter into any contracts arising out of the procedures envisaged by this Contract Notice. No contractual rights express or implied arise out of this Contract Notice or the procedures envisaged by it. Any contracts let by HS2 Ltd may provide that the scope or duration of the Contract may be extended at HS2 Ltd's discretion. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to vary its requirements and the procedure relating to the conduct of the award process. HS2 Ltd reserves the right to disqualify any Applicants on terms set out in the PQP;
8) Applicants shall be solely responsible for and liable for all costs associated with and arising out of or in connection with responding to this Contract Notice and any PQQ and with submitting any tender, howsoever incurred;
9) HS2 Ltd embraces diversity and welcomes PQ Applications from all suitably skilled and experienced economic operators of all sizes who can meet the requirements, regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith, disability or age of supplier workforce and / or ownership. HS2 Ltd will actively promote sustainable procurement throughout its supply chain and welcomes PQ Applications from economic operators committed to the principles of reducing, reusing and recycling resources and to the practices of buying responsibly;
10) The dates set out in this Notice are indicative and based on the current programme. HS2 Limited reserves the right to amend and refine this timetable and full details will appear in the eventual tender documentation;
11) Applicants must allow sufficient time for uploading their full PQQs and tenders. HS2 Limited reserves the right to reject any PQQ or tender that is not submitted in full before the relevant submission deadline;
12) HS2 Limited reserves the right to require the submission of any additional, supplemental or clarification information as it may, in its absolute discretion, consider appropriate;
13) Access to PQQ and Invitation To Tender documentation will be conditional upon HS2 receiving a confidentiality agreement in advance;
14) Phase 2a is included in this procurement, specific arrangements and logistics for Phase 2a delivery will be described in the Procurement Documents to be made available at ITT stage.
HS2 Ltd will incorporate a standstill period of a minimum of 10 calendar days at the point that information on the award of the contracts and the reasons for the award decision are communicated to tenderers.